Monday, October 6, 2014

Make the Call



Referees have a tough job.  They have to make difficult, and sometimes controversial, calls in front of thousands and, often, hundreds of thousands of people.  And those decisions effect hundreds of people (the players, coaches, etc.).  And, here we are agonizing over a decision of whether to go or stay in a job/career that is sucking the life out of us each and every day.  A decision that affects the most important people - us and, often, our families.  At some point, we have to "make the call".  

Here are 6 ways to know if it is time for you to "make the call" and Get Off the Pharm.  If you are:


1.  Displaced.  Well, you are off the hook.  The often dreaded decision to leave pharma has been made for you.  Do you know how many times I secretly hoped and prayed that I would be displaced from my pharmaceutical sales job, so I wouldn't have to make the decision (and follow through) to leave?  I'll never forget December 2007, the first round of layoffs with my final pharmaceutical company.  The sales team was invited to the conference call that announced the upcoming "realignment". - I love how they try to make you feel like your job is safe and they are doing what's best for the company and its customers. - It went a little something like this, "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  All reps are asked to stay home on [pick a date] and wait to receive a call about your new assignment."  "Here we go.", I thought.  In the back (really, the front) of my mind I was secretly hoping and praying that I would be "displaced", laid off, "realigned" right out of a job, so I wouldn't have to make the decision (and follow through) to resign and find another job/career.  Please be advised, sometimes a layoff is the best thing that can happen to you.  It is often the catalyst that prompts us to make a badly needed change.  

2.  Discouraged.  Do you feel like you will never reach the pinnacle of success in your pharmaceutical sales role?  What's it gonna take to actually make President's Circle?  Why is it so hard to get promoted to Executive Sales Rep?  When are they going to realize that I am District Manager material?  Is it really possible to get out of the bottom third?  Been there, done that and I have 3 t-shirts!  There is nothing worse than feeling like you have reached the peak of your success and wondering what is left.  You start to doubt yourself and your abilities.  Am I really cut out for this?  Did I make the right decision pursuing this coveted position?  All the pep talks in the world won't help you now.  

3.  Dissatisfied.  I got into pharmaceutical sales to educate physicians and help patients.  I got to the point where I was constantly questioning whether I was making a difference anymore.  I couldn't "get no satisfaction".  I started to wonder, "Why am I here (in this doctor's office, that is)?"  "According to the current edition of The Conference Board Job Satisfaction survey, and for the eighth straight year, less than half of US workers are satisfied with their jobs."  I have read that job satisfaction is more important than salary for more than half of workers.    

4.  Disengaged.  "Huh, doctor?  What did you say?  I was thinking about how I would prefer to be lying on the beach right now.  As a matter of fact, I would prefer to be anywhere, but here."  Ever had that kind of thought cross your mind?  I could be in the middle of detailing a doctor and in another place all at the same time.  It was bad, people!    

5.  Demotivated.  When you are no longer moved by the district/regional and national sales meeting cheerleading sessions, it may be time to "make the call".  I simply got tired of all the clapping and yelling.  The patient success stories no longer moved me.  The marketing presentations were a bore.  No, I am not going to give you a standing ovation for doing your job.   I just didn't feel it anymore.  

6.  Depressed.  This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  When I no longer wanted to get out of bed in the morning to go to work I knew it was time to "make the call" and make a change. When my spouse came to me and told me to "get a new job because when you are miserable we (our family) are miserable" I had all the confirmation and motivation I needed to "Get Off the Pharm".   While I was not officially diagnosed and do not make light of this disease, I knew the signs.  I sold Prozac in my inaugural position as a pharmaceutical sales rep, so I knew what I was facing.  I was snapping at everyone in my family and feeling miserable was the norm.  

I am NOT, I repeat, not, advocating that you leave your pharmaceutical sales position if you are only occasionally experiencing 1 or 2 of the aforementioned emotions.  However, I had gotten to the point where I was experiencing all of them on a regular basis, so I knew I needed to "make the call" and move on.  As always, I am here to help you sort through your emotions and experience in pharma to determine whether it is time for you to "make the call" and make a move.


Best-

Off the Pharm

No comments:

Post a Comment