Saturday, September 27, 2014

Career Spotlight: Healthcare Recruiter



I am a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel.  To that end, I have found a very comprehensive description of the Healthcare Recruiter role that I would like to share for this month's Career Spotlight.  It can be found here.

In addition, since this is a role that I coveted and pursued for approximately 10 years and finally, currently find myself in, I would like to add my two cents.  As a Physician Recruiter, I have come to realize a few things:

1.  Recruiting is SALES.  Okay, I already knew this.  This was the angle I always took as I tried to convince other recruiters and hiring managers that I would be a great fit for recruiting.  Not only are you selling the candidate on the opportunity, but you are selling the hiring manager on the candidate. As a (former) pharmaceutical sales rep you are uniquely qualified for this role.  Rejection, as a by-product of sales, is also prevalent in recruiting.  Where someone else may cringe at the thought of rejection, you are well-equipped to handle it with ease and grace.   As with pharmaceutical sales, you will find that your performance is measured by various metrics, but the nice thing is many of them will be within your control.  But, cheer up...there are no district manager ride-a-longs!  ;-)

2.  Recruiting is a learned skill.  There are many recruiters/hiring managers out there that would have you to believe that recruiting requires an extensive amount of experience to be successful.  As a (former) pharmaceutical sales rep you have already demonstrated your ability to learn new information and adapt to challenging situations quickly.  There is an extensive online offering of articles, blogs, certifications, experts, training, webinars and websites that can help you prepare for and excel in your new role.  As with any new skill, practice makes perfect.  In addition to sales, recruiting involves sourcing (finding candidates), interviewing, and negotiating, among other skills.  These, too, can be learned and perfected over time.  I am still learning and have been for the past 10 years, since I first became interested in recruiting.  
Sidebar: My interest in recruiting came about after I realized how much I enjoyed helping others find careers they enjoyed.  As a miserable pharmaceutical sales rep I was constantly in the job market.  I learned through experience how to (1) find jobs at lightening speed, (2) create a resume tailored to that specific job , (3) draft a "creative cover letter" that engages the decision maker, (4) bypass recruiters (I know what you're thinking) and connect with hiring managers, and (5) sell myself in an interview when pursuing a position that I lacked specific experience in.  This experience helped me to help others in my same situation.  I started to explore how I could combine my newfound passion of providing  career advice/services with my pharmaceutical sales experience. Recruiting was the result.  
Sales + Career services = Recruiting.    

3.  Industry experience is key.  The most successful recruiters have specific work experience in the industry for which they recruit.  Having worked with physicians for all of my professional career has made me uniquely qualified to recruit physicians.  In addition, I recruit psychiatrists, on whom I called for the vast majority of my pharmaceutical sales career.  As a (former) pharmaceutical sales rep your options are almost limitless in the field of healthcare recruiting.  You have worked and developed relationships with various members of the healthcare industry from nurses (including nurse practitioners) to physicians to pharmacists to medical practice managers, and the list continues.  Any of these professions are within your scope to recruit.  Heck, you could even recruit pharmaceutical sales reps if you so desire.  If recruiting is the career you choose to pursue, you are definitely a perfect candidate to recruit others like yourself.

4.  Recruiting is a great entrepreneurial venture.  Recruiting, as a small business, has very few barriers to entry.  Literally, all you need is a computer and a phone.  With all of your pharmaceutical career contacts, finding clients and candidates should be a "breeze".  Well, almost.  I don't mean to suggest that starting a business is as easy as pie and a mindless task, but you are one step ahead of the game with all of your industry and professional connections.  It can be as easy as choosing a niche (which is suggested in the world of recruiting) and reaching out to clients and candidates.  Did I mention that independent recruiters command an average of 20%-25% of the candidate's first year salary?  So, imagine recruiting a physician with a $200k annual salary for a 20% fee.  You just made $40k.  Now, keep in mind that the average recruiting cycle for a physician is 6-9 months, but $40k for half a year's work is a pretty good living, if you ask me.  And very close to, if not more than, what you are/were probably making as a pharmaceutical sales rep.  Becoming an independent healthcare recruiter is definitely worth exploring.    

Even if entrepreneurship is not in your immediate future, a significant number of healthcare recruiting opportunities exist within the marketplace.  You even have the flexibility to choose from a host of settings, including, but not limited to, corporate, agency, staffing, etc.  Working from home, as I do, is also an option.  You can earn a salary plus bonus or work on commission.  The choice is yours.

As always, I am here to assist in your transition.  You know where to find me, if you need me.


Best-

Off the Pharm


P.S.  I have an exciting announcement coming soon about my upcoming webinar.  Stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment