Monday, September 15, 2014

How To Move Past the Fear of Leaving



As I sit here on an airplane waiting to take off to head back home from a business trip, I am faced with a slight fear of flying.  I have flown so many times in my life I have lost count.  I have never had a problem with or fear of flying...until recently.  As I contemplate this new feeling I am not sure if "fear" is really the right word.  Maybe it's more of an anxiety.  Either way, I am ready for this flight to be over and to be safe and sound on the ground at my final destination.  My seat belt is securely fastened, I have prayed for a safe flight and am prepared for any turbulence we may experience along the way.  In other words, I have done everything within MY control to ensure a safe flight.  The rest is up to the pilots, flight attendants and God. 

As you prepare yourself to "Get Off the Pharm", you may be experiencing some of the same fear or anxiety that I am feeling now as this huge hunk of metal on wheels proceeds down the runway preparing for takeoff.  But, regardless of how I feel right now, this plane is moving forward.  Well, regardless of how you feel right now, if you want a change you are going to have to move forward.  


Here are three tips to help you move past the fear of leaving your comfortable, yet dissatisfying position in pharma:

1.  Fasten your seat belt.  I don't know about you, but I always feel more secure when I fasten my seat belt before takeoff.  Fastening our seat belts has become a universal sign of getting prepared to travel.  A plane won't take off until all seat belts are fastened.  Seat belts help ensure our safety in the event of turbulence or a shaky landing.  While it has been proven that seat belts save lives there are still many who prefer to travel without using them. In the same token, while it has been proven that preparation helps lead to success, many embark on new journeys each day and fail to prepare.  We have all heard the saying, "If you fail to plan, plan to fail".  As you embark on this new journey of searching for a new career, it is important to prepare yourself for the journey.  Preparation for a new career journey includes assessing your gifts/talents/passions and researching career options, dusting off that resume and making some updates/revisions, actually searching for jobs/careers that match your gifts/talents/passions, and reaching out to your network to let them know you are indeed looking for a new career.  Preparation is key if you want move past the fear of leaving pharma.  The more prepared you are the more comfortable you will feel as you make your transition.

2.  Pray for safe travel.  I always pray before I travel because I realize there are things outside of my control...airplane flight being one.  My faith instructs its believers to "pray without ceasing".  Why?  Because there will always be circumstances in life outside of our control.  My father always says, "If you are going to worry, then don't pray.  But, if you are going to pray, then don't worry.  Fear often causes worry.  So, I choose to pray instead of worrying.  On the other hand, my mother always says, "Control what you can control and pray (in other words, don't worry) about the rest.  There will be many things out of your control during this new phase of your career journey, including a recruiter's response (or lack thereof) to your resume, the hiring manager's response to your interview, etc.  You will be busy enough maintaining status quo in your current job while trying to transition into your new career.  No need to add worrying to the list.

3.  Prepare for turbulence.  I have not had too many flights where I have not experienced turbulence.  The worst turbulence I ever experienced was flying into Boston for my initial training with my second and last pharmaceutical company.  It was the type of turbulence that made me swear  I would never fly again.  Well, we know that was a lie.  Nonetheless, it was bad, to say the least.  I should have expected it.  Turbulence is always a possibility when you fly.  Why would I think this flight would be any different?  To that end, unpredictable circumstances are always possible during any journey.  But, one thing we can control is how prepared we are in the event of "turbulence".  What kinds of turbulence can one expect in his/her journey to a new career.  Let's see, there's  applying for that coveted job and getting no response, getting the phone screen and being told your resume will be passed on to the hiring manager and never hearing back, interviewing for a job you really want only to be told that another candidate was chosen over you...shall I continue?  While things will not always go our way, we can be prepared if we do face a setback.  How?  For starters, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Apply and network for every opportunity that you feel may be a great fit.  Don't just single out that ONE job that you are certain you will get.  Bad things do happen to good people and you are no exception to that rule.  Second, don't take things personally if opportunities don't work out.  It's not always about you.  Maybe the other candidate was just more qualified or simply a better fit.  Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise when we are not chosen for positions.  Finally, know that there are more career opportunities where that one came from.  Have you ever been to Indeed?  Type in any job title or career and there are typically hundreds to thousands of related opportunities.  Be confident that if the opportunity is meant for you AND you are prepared for it, you will get it.

Until then, be strong-

Off the Pharm

No comments:

Post a Comment