Monday, September 1, 2014

Paralyzed by Pharma?

What better day than Labor Day to examine your current career/job status?




I will be the first to acknowledge how difficult it is to leave a comfortable situation, regardless of how dysfunctional it may be.  People face this dilemma in family relationships, romantic relationships, friendships and professional relationships.  As a part of the human condition, we always prefer comfort over discomfort.  Leaving a familiar environment often produces discomfort and we would prefer to avoid discomfort rather than leave dysfunction. 

Let me be the first to say that the pharmaceutical industry is not all bad.  While it has changed significantly over the past 15-20 years there are still some elements of the industry that appeal to many.

1. Prestige.  I believe the most appealing element is the prestige that belonging to the pharma industry provides.  The pharmaceutical sales rep position has been a long sought after position for many, many years.  Being able to work with members of one of the most respected professions in our country (physicians) on a daily basis carries a lot of weight.  For some, it's the next best thing to becoming a doctor.  Pharma sales reps receive some of the best medical and sales training there is to offer and don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of student loans to pay back upon completion.  Let's face it,  whenever we become a part of something that many others want to belong to we feel a significant amount of pride in knowing we accomplished something so many others have not.  And that brings a certain level of prestige. 

2. Pay.  Who are we kidding?  The pay is awesome!  Can you imagine graduating from college and landing a $50k/year job at the age of 22?  Well, that was my experience.   And my salary just kept increasing over the 13 years I was a part of the industry.  I was with just two companies over my pharma sales career and when I left my salary was almost $90k/year.  That doesn't even include my bonus.  Who in their right mind leaves that kind of money on the table?  I did!  I made a decision to choose my sanity over my salary.

3. Perks.  OMG-osh!  Don't even get me started.  A company car, a home office, unlimited flexibility, an expense account, a laptop computer, all-expense paid travel (national/district sales meetings), free meals in 5-star restaurants and broadway plays (in the good ole days)...need I go on?  And, you're getting a significant salary on top of that?  Experiencing this, and getting paid to do it, is awesome at any age. 

So, I totally understand why pharma reps put up with constant sales scrutiny and bogus rankings,  the never-ending success stories, fake enthusiasm at national/district sales meetings, and the dreaded manager ride-along, among other things.   Living with dysfunction is so much easier than making a change.

In my next post I will examine "How to Move Past the Fear of Leaving".  Stay tuned…


Remember, you have options-

Off the Pharm

No comments:

Post a Comment